Posted by: Jodie Blades Diploma Level 3 in Dental Nursing
Medically reviewed by: Dr Anthony Lam BDS (Hons), MSc (Lond), MOrth RCS (Edin) Specialist Orthodontist and Clinical Lecturer at Guy's Hospital, London
So often children come to us hating their smiles, while the functionality of your teeth is important, we understand that a great smile will work wonders for a child’s confidence – especially during those awkward years! And we love helping them achieve the best results possible!
Orthodontic treatment can be used to straighten teeth at any age, although it is most commonly suggested for a child to begin treatment from ages 10 – 14, unless your child needs Early Orthodontic Treatment.
Signs Your Child Might Need Braces:
- Crowded Teeth
- Difficulty Biting
- Losing Baby Teeth Early
- Losing Baby Teeth Late
- Teeth In The Wrong Position
- Thumb or Dummy Sucking
- Biting Their Cheeks Often
- Teeth That Don’t Make Contact
- Can’t Close Their Lips/Mouth Properly
We recommend that you bring your child in for an initial Orthodontic screening at around age 7. By this time their permanent incisors and first molars should have erupted and an early evaluation can detect possible problems with future eruptions. Early children’s orthodontics can often prevent more costly and difficult orthodontic treatment as an adult.
NHS Waiting Lists
Many parents are choosing to bypass long NHS waiting list in favour of Private Orthodontic care, ensuring that their children receive the treatment they need when it is most beneficial. With Private Orthodontic treatment there are a choice of Children’s Orthodontics available;
Types of Braces
- Traditional Fixed Metal Braces – These are particularly popular in children’s orthodontics as the get to choose colourful bands.
- Tooth Coloured Ceramic Braces – A popular alternative with teens and adults, as they are less noticeable than traditional metal braces.
- Invisalign® – Removable Clear Aligners. We can add wear indicators to ensure they’re being worn for the minimum hours per day!
- Lingual Braces – Fixed Braces on the back or lingual side of the teeth
- Removable Appliances – Also know as URAs (Upper Removable Appliances) and functional appliances. These are usually used before a fixed brace.
Starting orthodontic treatment can be daunting, especially for children. At Holland Park Dental we pride ourselves on offering a friendly and caring service that will continue throughout your Child’s Orthodontic journey. We love what we do and there is nothing better than seeing the amazing smiles on our child patients faces when they see their finished results! Book your child a FREE iTero scan today!